Week One #explorethereserve: Haunted Poolesville
Here in Montgomery County’s Agricultural Reserve, it’s feeling like fall. Colorful leaves are scattered on the ground, the nights are cold and crisp, and cornstalks rattle in the wind. On the farms, the summer crops are long gone, replaced by baled hay, apples, and pumpkins. Fields and forests are busy with wildlife preparing for the coming winter and the skies dotted with migrating birds.
Welcome to the kickoff of #explorethereserve! This community project will highlight weekly locations with ideas for getting off screens and heading outside to improve mental and physical health, explore our corner of MoCo, and provide inspiration for COVID-safe adventures in and near the Ag Reserve.
Click here to learn more about this #explorethereserve project, the Agricultural Reserve, and tips for safety and comfort. Check out other #explorethereserve adventures linked at the bottom of this post.
Week one of #explorethereserve is Halloween week, so let’s explore some of the spookier corners of the Ag Reserve with the Haunted Poolesville podcast. The Ag Reserve is full of rich history, echoes of the lives who once called it home and it would seem some residents never left….
Get started on week one of #explorethereserve by clicking here to access a resource PDF, the podcast link, and directions for enjoying: https://christinerai.com/teach-haunted-poolesville-podcast/
Options & Ideas for #explore the reserve, Haunted Poolesville:
- Print the resource PDF, download the podcast to your device and listen as a driving tour
- Stop the car (at the sites that are not private property) and get out to immerse yourself and have a closer look. What do you notice about the architecture, the surrounding nature, and yourself? Do you feel any spooky vibes?
- When your tour is finished, find a local picnic spot (like Whites Ferry or Whalen Commons) and share your impressions and experiences over snacks.
- Bring a journal or sketchbook and document your experiences
- Listen in the comfort of your own home
- Host your own spooky storytelling session with friends and family via Zoom or maybe around a fire pit
- Dig deeper by exploring the haunted and local history resources listed in the section below
Dig deeper into local history and mysteries:
- Haunted Maryland: Dreadful Dwellings, Spine-Chilling Sites, and Terrifying Tales
- In Search of Maryland Ghosts: Montgomery County (Highly recommend!)
(AFFILIATE MARKETING NOTICE: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase a book from any of the links above, I will earn a small commission fee.)
Websites and Organizations
- Heritage Montgomery
- Historic Ag Reserve Properties: John Hall House, Ag Reserve Enslaved Quarters, and 1785 House
- Historic Medley District
- Montgomery Ghosts blog, “Haunting Celebrations” and “Major Peter is Rolling Over in His Grave”
- Monocacy Monocle, “The Ghosts of the Monocacy” October. 22, 2004
- Monocacy Monocle, “Ag Reserve Enslaved Quarters”
- Montgomery Magazine, “Ghostly Montgomery” October & November 2014
Support Local Businesses
While you’re out and about, help support local businesses by stopping in for a snack or meal. Please check websites before visiting for days/hours of operation. I recommend:
Homestead Farm For local produce and pick your own fun (seasonal)
Locals Farm Market & Cafe Bakery, cafe, and local produce
Mexican Grill Best Mexican food in MoCo
Rocklands Farm Historic farm and great picnic spot
Whites Ferry Grill Hearty sandwiches on the Potomac
Windridge Vineyards Vino with a view and weekend food trucks
Let’s keep exploring!
New adventures will be posted each Wednesday morning here and linked via the Taste Travel Teach FB page.
Share #explorethereserve further by reposting to your own social media and sharing with family and friends.
Use the hashtag #explorethereserve to share our experiences/photos on social media to inspire others and build community.
Don’t miss #explorethereserve updates! Subscribe to my blog and follow Taste Travel Teach on Facebook.
Suggestions for upcoming #explorethereserve adventures? Click on the Contact button here or send a FB message to Christine.
Thanks for reading and taking part in #explorethereserve. I hope you enjoyed learning, exploring, and discovering more about Montgomery County’s Ag Reserve. See you next Wednesday for a new adventure!
ABOUT TASTE TRAVEL TEACH & CHRISTINE RAI:
- Click here to learn more about me and my credentials.
- Check out my shop for unique products with my creative flair.
- Contact me here about teaching a class, leading a tour, or speaking to your group.
- My current project: I’m finishing up my first book, a sunny guide for positive living featuring my vibrant multimedia art.
- Upcoming event: Cheese tasting fundraiser to benefit the Upcounty Prevention Network. Click here to learn more.
Enjoying #explorethereserve? If you are able, make a one-time donation to support the time and work that goes into it.
Choose an amount
Or enter a custom amount
Your contribution is appreciated and helps make #explorethereserve possible. Thank you!Donate